Sketching Gaudí

How do you sketch a building as complex as the Sagrada Familia? It is impossible to draw all the details unless you have lots more time than I did. The solution: cross your fingers and do your best at giving an impression of the general shapes, the lights and darks and possibly an indication of colour.

20130708-225239.jpg

14 Comments on “Sketching Gaudí”

1. Delft says:

Well done! I recognised it at once.
    The unfinished look matches the unfinished church too 🙂

2. George Ostrowski says:

Looks amazing. Could not be any other building. Gaudi was an artist. So are you!

Nice impression of a classic building. Make sure that you take care when sketching Gaudi’s work… the story goes that Gaudi was killed when he stepped back in the street to get a better look at one of his buildings under construction and was hit by a passing car… dangerous architecture to admire.

• The only thing that I would have been hit by while sketching this was any one of a number of tourists who were trying to get a better view than the one I had while standing in the park across the street. Luckily none of them were feeling violent today.

5. Monique says:

That church!:)Bravo!!

6. Uma says:

Wow – I adore Barcelona – the city, to me, seems an artist and art/architecture-lover’s dream destination. Great to see your drawings of the place – you definitely captured the spirit of Sagrada Familia! Looking forward to seeing more of your stay there..

7. Love it; seems like the kind of architecture where you just need to draw everything in your path, and come back with a memory-inducing sketch instead of a drawing that is simply “right”, yet forgettable in the long run. Just a few color washes, key details, and enough lines to hold it all together, and my favorite are the cranes and scaffolding!

• I was happy about the way I dealt with this one Jason. I only had a few minutes before my time slot to line up for entry to the church so I had to put down only the essentials. It’s probably the best way to deal with a structure like this.