Four spikes

Even though I draw most every day, I am always ready for a challenge. And perspective is a challenge — it just never gets any easier. The St. Joachim presbytery in Pointe Claire has all these great spikes that pierce the sky but boy are these things hard to draw. I did this in my Moleskine sketchbook with a MUJI mechanical pencil and many sighs of frustration.

FourSpikes

15 Comments on “Four spikes”

1. Andrea Rule says:

Well, maybe perspective doesn’t get any easier, but you got it on the steeples.  I really enjoy your art. Thank you. Andrea Rule

2. Connie Renaud says:

You did a magnificent job. I love drawing architecture – I need to try this piece. Connie

3. Patti says:

Being from Pointe Claire, I love seeing your wonderful artwork illustrating places around the West Island. They bring back memories.

• Thanks Patti. If you love the West Island you will certainly find lots on here. I would say that the majority of sketches are done in Pointe Claire, Beaconsfield and sometimes Ste. Anne’s.

• Patti says:

Many of the Pte. Claire scenes are very familiar as my Mom Janet Proudfoot has been sketching and painting local scenes for years. It is fun to see the same scenes done in different styles.
        Patti

• Rose Laliberté says:

I have a sketch of the Pointe Claire windmill signed by J. Proudfoot 1975. According to you. is it possible that it is an original sketch or a print. This Pointe-Claire windmill was given to my father in law Charles Marier, when he retired from the City Hall of Pointe-Claire as a gift. Thanking you for your answer.
      Rose Laliberté

• HI Rose, I couldn’t tell you anything about that since I haven’t seen it. I think the best thing to do would be to go to a gallery that deals in Canadian Art and ask them. They should be able to help you.

4. katieloui says:

This is amazing :*

5. Perspective certainly is a challenge, but even when we get it right or slightly less than right, a sketch is still a sketch, and a capture of a subject in a way that no photograph can touch. For me, it’s one thing to be able to visually judge the hight versus the width of a detail before laying pen down to paper, but judging angles on perspective is a far greater skill, especially where the perspective is not on a singular line or plane, but in variating linear patterns like seen here. Nicely done, and I love the treatment of the roofing shingles in particular.