Sixth Avenue, Lachine

Happy new year! After a few days of rest and celebrations it feels great to get back to my paints and brushes!

Today I had a chance to complete the painting that I did the study for a few days ago. It really helped to have that little study in front of me as I worked. The values and colours were already figured out so I just got right down to painting. I bought a large sheet (26 x 40) of Saunders Waterford 260 lb. paper a while back and worked on a quarter sheet. This is the first time I am trying this paper (I have it in block form as well) and I was very happy with it. Most of the painting is done wet-in-wet (both sides of the sheet) with a limited palette of Cobalt Blue, Permanent Alizarin Crimson and Azo Yellow.

SixthAvenueLachine

Here is the study for the painting. I changed the format a bit but most of the info is there.

SixthAvenue

22 Comments on “Sixth Avenue, Lachine”

1. Mandii says:

This looks absolutely amazing! Love it 😀
    Happy new year, and may it be filled with more awe inspiring art work 🙂

2. raenassketchbook says:

This is incredible! I love the atmosphere that you have captured so well!

3. Terry says:

Happy New Year Shari ! This is another beauty! When i first looked at it the pathway in the left foreground bothered me….in your sketch you broke up the line! However when I clkd on the image to make it larger that pathway didn’t bother me at all .Strange how we see things! I look for your work every day and I’m always pleased…Thanks,Shari

• Happy New Year to you too Terry. The sketch didn’t have too many details in it but I was able to work out some things in the larger painting, like the shape of the pathway.

4. Linda Daily says:

I would have liked to have been a little mouse in your studio watching you paint this scene.
    I really like the sky and that yellow awning flapping on the building on the right is a great addition.

• Thanks Linda. I keep saying that one day I will do a step-by-step post of painting wet-in-wet. I just bought a better camera so this may actually happen. That means you may get to be a little mouse in my studio even from the comfort of your own home.

5. A lovely painting, quite haunting. I do like that heavy sky – more snow to come maybe.

6. cristina says:

The heavy atmosphere, the electric posts, the amount of cable… amazing! I just love it! This definitely a good way to start 2014. Happy new year Shari!

7. sue sladen says:

Did you dip the paper in water?

Susan

8. s beneross says:

Happy New Year Shari!I very much enjoy your beautiful sketches. Best wishes for a wonderful year ahead!Sandra

Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 01:40:40 +0000 To: beneross@bell.net

9. Parka says:

Nice. I liked the first one better because of there’s more contrast.
    The second one’s more subdued but lovely as well. I like the square format also.

10. parkablogs says:

Nice. I liked the first one better because of there’s more contrast.

11. rene fijten says:

Best wishes for the new year. A beauty this one, the final version has this colour in the sky which gives the athmosphere immediately. Love the little details like the cars headlights. 26×40,that would be inches?

12. andre savard says:

Wow! Your scenes of sixth ave. is beautifull. the horizontal format gives it more value.
    and space. I have lived all my life in Lachine and have never enjoyed such an urban scenery of my oldtown.
    Excellent work.

13. Raynald Murphy says:

But a good one no less. I had the same problem with the cold Friday but opted out to sketch one from a Starbucks window – see my post. I didn’t mention that my feet were frozen by watercolor sketch end’s as the window I was sitting at was pretty drafty….ah what we will do to paint on site. Bravo Shari, you are an inspiration. I am attempting to do a little Moleskine a day this year…362 to go…ahhhhh

14. Happy New Year! I love this painting, I think this has some of the boldest colors I’ve seen you use yet.