The sounds of Seattle

Try as we may to find quiet sketching spots with as few distractions as possible for workshops, Seattle’s various forms of noisy transportation found us in Ballard and followed us to Georgetown. At our Saturday location in Ballard the city buses were diverted from their usual routes because of a seafood festival and ended up passing by our demo location every five minutes, spewing fumes and creating road dust clouds on the corner where we stood. On Sunday our Georgetown spot seemed perfect (shade, great view, lots of room to spread out) until a Boeing jet took off from the test runway nearby. That was followed by another one, and another one, and then a bus almost knocked over one of our group on the street corner. Our final spot was under a deserted freeway underpass (guaranteed shade and relative quiet) until a motorcycle club drove by, saw an audience of observant sketchers and put on a show of various sorts of wheelies for our benefit. That’s location sketching for you. Anything can happen and you make the best of it!
That ends my trio of Pacific Northwest workshops. Each one was a great experience. The groups were filled with astounding talent and I was overwhelmed with hospitality. I am grateful to all of my hosts for helping me organize these past few weeks. I have learned so much from catching a glimpse of nearly 50 different sketchbooks, each of them unique and amazing.

20140715-205842-75522978.jpg

20140715-205844-75524951.jpg

14 Comments on “The sounds of Seattle”

1. Mary says:

So nice to hear you’ve had a wonderful experience with such talented sketchers in all three groups Shari 🙂 Your description of the sound effects was so funny, especially the motor
    cyclists performing wheelies for your benefit. Weren’t you tempted to sketch them?…they would have made a comical picture!

2. miatagrrl says:

Noise, dust, buses, bikers… It was all worth it! 🙂

– Tina

3. tmikeporter says:

I am always enriched by being around sketchy people like me! What fun! Thank you, Shari, for you gentle guiding words to us and your fresh approach to recording impressions of the world around us. I am inspired by you!

4. Linda says:

Hello, you can always tell what a wonderful class there was with all these smiles:) Looks like the day went well,Linda

5. Carleen Zimmerman says:

Shari, it was such a joy to share your workshop with other artists! I really appreciated hearing your process as you explained your composition, sketch lines and values while you did your demos. Yes, the noise was interesting! Besides the buses, planes and motorcycles, we had trains blasting their horns under the bridge for us, several helicopters and an ambulance! But it only added to the urban sketching experience!

6. redharparts says:

Sounds like it was a wonderful workshop. When an aircraft flies over Georgetown and conversation stops, they call it “the Georgetown Pause”.

7. anita407 says:

your grand knowledge and talents are now in my classroom; with confidence! Glad you enjoyed Tom and the northwest too.