A reminder from Marc

Ok, I guess I couldn’t let the brushes rest for the weekend, but I have a good excuse. Yesterday I received my signed copy of “The Urban Sketcher: Techniques for seeing and drawing on location” written by my friend Marc Taro Holmes. I haven’t had time, yet, to go through the book in detail but I will do that soon enough. I can tell you quickly that it is packed with great info, step-by-step exercises and tons of images to go along with them. On one of the first pages I was reminded about how important it is to have my tiny sketchbook with me at all times, so while I was waiting for a cake to come out of the oven, I grabbed my little Moleskine and a water-soluble Pilot Fineliner pen and drew some walnuts.

I also want to thank everyone who sent me such generous wishes for my blog birthday post, both through email and through the comments section. I haven’t had time to respond to each one yet but in the meantime I send out a huge group thank you!

Walnuts

18 Comments on “A reminder from Marc”

1. deborah stanley says:

Shari, thank you for sharing your wonderful work and thoughts on your Blog. I have been following for several months now! Wishing you all the best!!!! thank you for sharing about Marc and his book! so glad to have a recommendation! Congratulations on your new book: Mostly Montreal! (my blog is: http://deborahstanleyinspirations.blogspot.com/ – so you know who I am) best, deborah

2. Joan says:

I’ve been notified by Marc that he has the books ready to send off to his followers, can’t wait to get my issue!

Love the walnut sketch…nice and simple.

3. Miz Dee says:

My book from Amazon will be on the way in a week. I am very excited! Also was interested in your Pilot pen. I’ve not tried the one you use, but my favorite is the Pilot P- 700 fine, which draws beautifully and being water soluble makes it perfect for quickie sketches like these walnuts!

4. Louise, Montréal says:

Thank you Shari for all your posts and so interesting drawings along those years. I am following you since the beginning and have learned so much.

5. J Raines says:

Ordered the book that was already on my Amazon Wishlist! Thanks for the reminder.

So, Shari… didn’t take long for the down-hill slide to start, did it? Only one day after declaring that you were going to down-grade the blog, here is a “group thank you”… no more individual responses. Next it will be recycling sketches (“didn’t have time to draw this month, so here is an oldie from November 2011, just so you know that I am alive”)… then it will be posting other people’s sketches (“sorry, no time for my blog this year, but here are links to some others on Flickr that you might like… I am sooo busy getting my nails done and drinking lattes”)… or even “here is my friend’s book that you really should buy… pleeeeassse, buy it because I get a commission… which helps me pay my manicurist and my barista”. : )

• Ah Ross, you read my mind. I already have the appts booked all year for the nails. No more sketching for me. From now on, just shopping, lunches with friends and beauty treatments. And all that from the commissions I make from Marc.

• Ross says:

OK, I think that I have earned my payment for this week.
        And, I have been wanting to talk to you for some time… about the new professional approach to the blog, I think it is time we reviewed my salary… I think a 15% increase would be acceptable… and with the second website opening, I am thinking that a commission approach would be appropriate for that one… for the book too? What do you think, boss?

• I think that before you ask for a raise you should have a look at your absenteeism rate. Do you think you merit more money?

• Ross says:

You are a tough task-master, Shari Blaukopf… are you sure your middle name is not Ebenezer? Because I feel like Bob Cratchit… three hard years of creative work with comments and I am dismissed with a “look at your absenteeism? So, how many posts have I commented on? : )

• Wow, that would be a job, to go back and count all your comments. Ok, we’ll let your past comments make up for your recent absenteeism. And don’t worry about the second website. There will be no comments section on that one. One blog with comments is enough for now.

7. captelaine says:

Can’t wait to see the book… love your walnuts too. I visit your blog just about every day and I find your work inspiring. Ross above got up on the wrong side of the bed today I guess… don’t let negative people ruin your joy.

• I think you’ll love the book Elaine. As for Ross, just ignore him. He is paid by me to provide the entertainment in the comments section of the blog. (It helps my readership.) If he doesn’t say something funny or sarcastic at least once a week, I don’t pay him.