Come back later

Fermé. Revenez plus tard. (Closed. Come back later.)

Spring is most definitely on hold today. I was on my way to sketch some boats when I spotted this sign and had to stop. The farmers at this market are usually very hardy — selling flowers and vegetables on the most blustery of days. But today, when the snow was falling (in mid-May!) they threw in the towel. Dragged a rope around the flowers and put up the sign. Can you blame them?

ClosedforSnow

10 Comments on “Come back later”

1. Barbara Beynon says:

Oh my – snow in May. The colorful pots of flowers look lovely – I hope they weather the storm. We are having the opposite problem here in Gainesville, FL. Summer too soon, about 90 degrees today, and probably too warm and humid to open up the house even after sunset.

2. Judy Sopher says:

This is the kind of sketch I love. Such human interest without a human-just a sign.

3. monique says:

I cannot blame them at all..my front hall is now lined with baskets and the garage is harboring my herbs..Snow fell at 9.30 AM today big flakes:(

Still ..your work is charming:)

4. ChesapkLady says:

Love the depth you’ve achieved here. . . so very simply!!

5. Jeff Gold says:

Great shadows and values overall. In spite of the snow, it has a vibrantly springy look to it. Your squiggly flowers are delightful as are the colors. Striking as always.

6. M. L. Kappa says:

Poor flowers! All alone in the snow…

7. Oh my, hope the flowers survive. Lovely sketch, like the story it tells and the shadows across the tent. Beautiful.

8. Louise Boyer says:

Love this sketch!
    Yes I got scared for my flowers too, with the 4 inches of snow falling , here in Shefford, In the Eastern Townships, Qc.
    Didn’t feel like singing at all…went back to bed that morning!…When I woke up and saw it still there…went back to bed again! Ha ha
    Louise

9. Janine says:

Snow in mid-May??? It’s time for a vacation!!! But I see you made the most of it. Lovely bright colors. ;0)

10. Well done! This definitely tells a story. I hope they went someplace warm. 🙂