Painting in the garden

It’s going to be a busy summer but one of the absolute highlights for me will be to join  James Gurney, artist-in-residence, as well as over 20 plein air painters on June 19 at the New York Botanical Gardens for a Plein Air Invitational. The event is part of a summer-long exhibition  Impressionism: American Gardens on Canvas which will take place in many areas of the gardens from May 14 – September 11.  In the art gallery you’ll find paintings and sculptures by American artists such as John Singer Sargent, Frederick Childe Hassam and William Merritt Chase. A walk through the gardens and conservatory will lead you to horticultural displays that have been inspired by the art. And throughout the day on June 19, you’ll find painters in different parts of the garden, capturing those magnificent displays. It’s a thrill and an honour to be part of this. If you happen to be in the New York vicinity on June 19th, drop by and say hi. The event runs from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m.

In preparation for painting the gardens, I set up my easel at the pond in Baie d’Urfé this morning. My favourite maple is just starting to leaf out, and even though it was overcast when I got there, the sun came out just in time to paint the tree.

Maple_final

26 Comments on “Painting in the garden”

1. Mary Catharine says:

Congratulations Shari! And such a beautiful painting.

2. Lovely! I’m hoping to get to the Gardens to see all of you painting!

3. that should be an amazing experience, Shari. Congratulations! One of my favorite botanical gardens too!

• I think it will be amazing Suhita. No pressure to paint well, of course, with all those people milling about… Yikes.
      I have never been there myself but spent much of my childhood in the Bronx because my grandparents lived there. I may have to take a side trip to find their old apartment building which was right next to the elevated train line. I remember being shaken awake by the trains during the night.

4. Monique says:

That’s great!
    And so is the tree!

5. Linda Murray says:

I can feel the texture of the tree trunk. Very nice!

6. sandidureice says:

This is a gorgeous painting.

7. Beautiful painting as always, Shari. I love the way you’ve done the ones in the background on the left – gorgeous!

8. Ingrid D.M. says:

The texture of this tree is so amazing. Thank you for sharing daily

9. Fred Wissemann says:

Shari: nice painting. Could you tell us the sequence you used to paint this? What part and color came first, what did you reserve for last. Thanks

• Fred, I can do better than that. I actually did step-by-step photos of this which I will post today.

• Fred says:

Thanks Shari. I look forward to seeing them. I am somewhat new to watercolor painting and there are a few painters that capture the essence of the medium in their work. You are one of them. I am always impressed at how you can take a rather mundane subject and give it a unique perspective with color, light, and shadow in a seemingly effortless manner.

10. Paul R. says:

You’ve inspired me. I’m going out in the back yard and sketch a tree in the middle of a rock garden of ours. Thanks again and your work “rocks”. 😀

• Paul, you are very kind to tell me that. Yes, get out there and sketch that tree. I often paint the same trees again and again because they change so much depending on the season and the light. It’s often like you are painting a completely different tree.

11. That sounds like an amazing time! How fun will that be?! Enjoy the trip! And your painting is fabulous as ever. Beautiful light on that tree! Love it! 😍

12. Sheila Brown says:

Hi Shari, Thank you for the step by steps. Beautiful. Loved the NY sketches. Such complex scenes rendered beautifully – your pesepsctive is of course spot on. Thanks for sharing. Lisa and I will be watchi
    ng out for next summer’s workshops so we can register in time!