On the vine

In a few weeks I’ll be painting at the New York Botanical Gardens, which is why I’ve been spending lots of time focusing on flowers and trees. This clematis has been blooming in my garden for a week or so, but it’s barely hanging on to a twig trellis that is falling apart and may not last much longer. One strong wind and it may be down. Pretty soon I’ll buy a new trellis that will be more durable, but won’t be half as interesting to paint. Sketched in a Fluid Field Watercolour Journal, 8″ x 8″.

Clematis

21 Comments on “On the vine”

1. I’m know you don’t need practice. lol This is lovely!

2. Judy Sopher says:

Shari, this is one of your best on flowers. It is just lovely. I have trouble painting flowers. And we have never had any luck growing them.(tho across the street our neighbors have.) You are really inspiring me to try painting flowers as we have so many now. Pennsylvania is in full bloom.

• Hi Judy. Thanks so much. I don’t have much blooming in my garden now, which is why I knock on people’s doors and ask if I can paint in their gardens. Or even better, go to the Botanical Gardens. You must have one close to where you live too.

3. coloratura says:

Sent from my iPad

4. Jodi says:

Stunning! Love it Shari!

5. Soni says:

Shari,
    You do not only great paintings but your shades of grays, browns & greens are always masterfully yummy. I’m guessing those other colorful green & brown tendrils are great rigger work, not inking ? I love studying your work – so glad you do this blog. & thanks for all your helpful informative replies.
    Soni

6. M. L. Kappa says:

Thanks, Shari, you’ve been inspiring me to try out new things lately. Lovely painting!

7. Lovely how the floral shapes are repeated in the foliage as well.

8. Miú says:

So loose, so delicate!

9. Helmut says:

I like this natural, simple flower interpretation