An unlikely sight

I can’t believe school has started already. It doesn’t seem fair to be back when summer is still casting a warm glow over Montreal. My only consolation is that I can sneak away on breaks and sketch on campus. I haven’t held a paintbrush in my hand for weeks so the complex architecture on campus was a little too much for me. When I spotted this girl sitting quietly on a bench, the simplicity of the scene seemed just right. Unlike most of her schoolmates checking out their phones around her, she was reading. That is so unusual that I watched her for a while to make sure. And sure enough she seemed to be enjoying a book, oblivious to the lunchtime commotion around her. It was a treat to watch and to sketch.

GirlReading

25 Comments on “An unlikely sight”

1. Mayela Lameda-Lyver says:

Simply Beautiful! I really enjoy your work and I’m having fun doing your craftsy class. In just the few first lessons, I’ve leaned quite a bit. Love the sky lessons. I’m a visual learning and seeing you painting has helped me a lot. I look forward to complete the landscape class and start the city one.

2. Peggy Bjarno says:

I love the “elegant splotches” here, Shari! You have a way with the brush that makes it all look easy and just right.

3. Pam Aylmer says:

I hope she was reading Gogol or Tolstoy and not 50 Shades of Gray. Louise Penny would be OK too…*–)

4. SONI MCFARLAND says:

Simply ……………….. lovely

5. Linda Murray says:

I like the solitude here. I love to read so I can appreciate that. The first thing I noticed in the painting was the light on the girls face. Nice job!!!

6. LauraLu says:

This is beautiful! The trees, the girl, the people in the far distance walking under the trees, beautiful!! Thanks so much for sharing. 💕

7. Judy Sopher says:

Lovely painting. How refreshing to see someone young reading a book and not using her cell phone.

8. Monique says:

I love it too!
    What a fabulous summer we have had..unimaginable.

9. Love the peaceful feel to this, Shari. Wishing you a great school year!

10. Carolyn says:

As usual your greens are so rich and varied. I was studying your shapes and realized that I Would think them odd had I done it, but that is what gives your painting that lovely loose feeling, where as I am still struggling with too realistic forms. Did you paint some of the trees in the background negativily?

• terrieydh says:

I totally agree with your comment about the tree shapes and if I’d done it, I’d think it looked weird! I keep trying though! Shari, I keep rewatching your Craftsy class every once in awhile and each time I find a new watercolor technique – love your style.

• Hi Carolyn,
      I did do that. I always start with a light wash of green and then paint around the tree shapes in the distance. I love negative painting.

11. Encantadora Shari. Llevo mucho tiempo siguiendo tus dibujos y reflexiones sobre lo que presentas en este blog y me haces pasar momentos muy agradables y gozar de una sencilla y magnífica pintura. Tienes un estilo que me atrae y me motiva a seguir dibujando y pintando.
    Por fin he decidido escribirte un comentario, a pesar de ser un insignificante amante del dibujo y esperando que no te habré molestado. Hace tiempo que quería hacerlo.
    Perdona de que lo haga en español, porque no sé hablar ni escribir en inglés. Afortunadamente estas computadoras traducen bastante bien todas tus reflexiones en tu blog y espero que entiendas bien este idioma.
    Qué bien pintas cualquier tema que se te presenta delante, como en este parque con una muchacha leyendo (algo no habitual, hoy). También dibujo cualquier cosa que se me presenta delante y espero aprender de ti.
    Un saludo.

12. Denise Rouben says:

Shari, I have been following your blog. I love your paintings. They seem to be so easy. I wonder. Do you wait till a layer dries before applying another?