Red, white and black

Anna Catherine warned us advance that in her Zoom modelling session this week, she would be wearing lots of red, white and black. With that in mind, I added a squirt of black gouache to my watercolour palette.

Doing life drawing from a computer screen image is not ideal. Even with side lighting, a light skinned model against a black curtain becomes a silhouette. In this week’s session, the shorter poses were perfect for drawing these silhouettes with simple lines, but it was only when Anna moved away from the black curtain over to the red sofa that the poses became more interesting for me. With the sofa in back of her and the white sheet in front, I was finally able to feel the volume and weight of her limbs and torso.

8 Comments on “Red, white and black”

1. Janice Bean says:

COOL! jfb

2. Donna says:

What an excellent job. Nicely done. It is challenging working from the computer.

3. joantav says:

Glad you were prepared for the colors…nicely done!

4. Uma Maheswar Nakka says:

Good Morning dear friend Shari,

Your artistic caliber is evident from the Kitten you have drawn on that pillow with it beautiful expression, not ignoring that beautiful woman with the hat.

Excellent work.
    With blessings- Uma

Liked by 1 person

5. Judy Sopher says:

One of my favorites. Can’t say enough about it. This is a color combination I have admired in many of the famous artists of the past as Manet. You have done a beautiful job of composition and color design as well as the model herself.. Gosh–I love this.

6. lisaisart23 says:

Hi, I really enjoy your blog. Is it possible for me to get in on the drawing sessions? Lisa

Sent from Wonder Woman’s favorite gadget.

• Hi Lisa. Thanks so much for reading the blog! Of course you can get in on the sessions. Just look up @annacatherinemuse on Instagram. Send her a message and let her know you want to be on her email list. She’ll send you login info for the Zoom meeting. She’s really wonderful. Hope to see you there!