Dry dock

We started the week off with snow and ended with a heat wave. It’s a bit disconcerting to hit 20C in November, but wonderful at the same time. You can’t let that kind of weather pass you by, so I took advantage by doing a bit of plein air painting. I went out to the boat club where the boats are already in dry dock, and set my easel up near the water. I was expecting to find the place deserted, but the boat owners were also enjoying the warmth of day and getting in some end-of-season repairs. This weather is expected to continue for another few days and I hope to take advantage of it with a few more outings.

28 Comments on “Dry dock”

1. Robert-Pamela Carrifee says:

Boy that’s perfect! I really love your boat paintings Shari!

2. Tricia says:

Beautiful!

3. mjsjs8384 says:

Beautiful as usual Shari – the docks looked deserted when we were there yesterday.

4. This is really beautiful and evocative. Really took hold of me somehow – thanks for sharing!

5. My goodness, this is so good. The line of the boat and the blue tarp over the boat. Just fabulous. Now I need to show my husband…he will love it!

6. Bernadette says:

Gorgeous painting! I enjoy the beauty of your limited strokes so perfectly placed.
    I headed to the Botanical Gardens today trying to squeeze out the last bit of a sunny, warm day. Only a few more days to enjoy the outdoors without a coat and umbrella. Along with 2 friends, we sketched and painted while soaking it all in.
    It was a magnificent day.

7. jjukes says:

Great painting Shari, love the subject and the feel.

John

8. Soni says:

absolutely fabulous – curious, what size & what paper ?

9. Judy Sopher says:

Beautiful. Wonderful composition, gorgeous use of blue.

10. oishmortal says:

This is surreal. Just what the eye can capture! 💜

11. Liliane Partikian says:

Absolutely beautiful !!!

12. Barry Van Dusen says:

One of your BEST boats, Shari,(and you’ve done LOTS of wonderful boats!) The full range of watercolor techniques really ON DISPLAY here and looking SOOO effortless!

13. Donna says:

This looks so sunny! How long did it take you to do this? Since it’s one of your favorite subjects I imagine it comes quickly? I’m painting outdoors tomorrow also with my group. Need to take advantage of this unusual weather.

• Hi Donna, I guess it took about an hour and a half. Drawing the boat takes a long time, especially since the proportions need to be right. So probably about half an hour drawing time and an hour to paint. I hope you had a great day outside!

14. Beautiful painting of the boat! I love when we get a weather surprise and can go outside and really enjoy plein air painting. I hope the weather continues to cooperate! Enjoy!!

15. Shari, I always enjoy your artistic expression. We have been experiencing similar weather in central Ohio, but our good fortune changes tonight.

16. Betsy says:

Beautiful. I can see you were feeling it.