Announcing “Sketching Markets in Ink and Watercolour” — a new online class

Ever since I started urban sketching ten years ago (yes, it’s the tenth anniversary of my blog this month!) I’ve loved sketching in markets. In fact, the first meeting of Urban Sketchers Montreal (which I co-founded with Marc Taro Holmes) was in Marché Jean Talon. When I was a college teacher I sometimes planned long breaks in my schedule so I could sneak off to the market to sketch between classes. And of course, in my travels as an urban sketching instructor, I’ve been fortunate to sketch in wonderful markets around the world.

So it made perfect sense to share my passion for markets by creating this sketching course, and basing it at my favourite market of all — Montreal’s Marché Jean Talon. I’m partial to Marché Jean Talon because it’s in my home town. But it’s also one of the world’s great markets. This year, as harvest season approached and I began to see the market stalls bursting with freshly-picked produce, I decided to create this course and share my love for sketching markets!

In Sketching Markets in Ink & Watercolour, I’ll show you how to:

• Combine expressive ink lines with colourful watercolour washes
  • Simplify a busy scene with large shapes and repeating patterns
  • Contrast brights and neutrals for maximum visual punch
  • Integrate people into your sketches using simplified lines
  • Add lettering and signage, which contribute local character to any urban scene

This class included five full-length video demonstrations that you can watch on your own time, as often as you wish.

If you want to learn more about the course, have a look at the trailer.

And as always, there is a special introductory price this week. The regular course price is $35 USD or $47 CDN, but I’ve discounted it for this first week to $30 USD or $42 CDN. The launch week special expires on Sunday, October 31st at midnight ET, and there’s no coupon necessary at checkout.

12 Comments on “Announcing “Sketching Markets in Ink and Watercolour” — a new online class”

1. Donna Skelcy says:

Is this a live or recorded class?

2. Denise says:

Just signed up and can’t wait to start! Thanks for the new course. Each one is fun, easy to follow, informative and inspirational.

3. Ginny says:

Shari,
    I just enrolled and am so excited about this course! The subject is right down my alley, and the topics are just what I want to learn. Thank you so much for offering this course. It’s my Happy October present to me!
    Ginny

4. deedster56 says:

Shari, I HAVE to take this class! Not only have I delighted in watching you create wonderful scenes from here, but Marché Jean-Talon was a must stop for us at least once a week when I was growing up in Montréal. I am really excited that you decided to do this, thank you!

5. sandidureice says:

Hi Shari, loving this class. Thank you!

6. Northern Traveller says:

Well done Shari! JT is a great market and so many yummy treats to tempt you while you’re sketching!!!!

7. Tracy says:

This is a great class to add to my collection! Farmers’ markets have always been one of my favorite places for photography too….all the beight colors!

Shari, do you have any plans for another gouache class soon?