Rusty

I stopped in Pointe Claire Village on my way to work today and realized two things when I parked my car. 1: I forgot my pencil. 2. I forgot how to draw with an ink line. Wow, drawing skills can get rusty so fast. It doesn’t matter how many of these little sketches I have done over the past year. When I picked up that Pitt pen it was as if I was using it for the first time.

LakeshoreRoad

15 Comments on “Rusty”

1. Jane Hannah says:

Hi Shari :: luckily, your rustiness is not showing in this picture. And I agree with you. Some weeks I only draw/paint 3 times in a week, and when I get back into it, it seems as though I have lost the connection/synchronicity between my hands, eyes and colour combos. Yikes!

2. Fleet Woodley says:

Doesn’t look to me like you forgot anything. I love the watercolor over ink.

~Fleetwood

Hey! Where is the forgetting part? I looked all over and couldn’t find anything.

• Thanks Lee. I just felt like my hand had no looseness. I have been doing a lot of pencil stuff lately so I was very tentative with the pen. I should have done a very fast and loose sketch first. The warm up one : )

4. simple and bold – love it!

5. Ross C says:

Looks really good to me… very un-rusty… and feels like I have just stepped back about 8 months to when you used to do sketches like this every other day… except that now you are a bit better at drawing cars. : )
    But what is that un-coloured shape appearing above and behind the ochre house… looks like it was going to be a Christmas tree?

• Ross, how do you manage to pick out the one little glitch in every sketch? Yes, that was an evergreen tree that I was going to put in and then changed my mind. That is the problem with pen. Eraser doesn’t work on it.

• Ross C says:

Hmm… That’s not quite the way it happens. I figure that it goes down more like this…
        500 people look at your post.
        Maybe 300 of them, the would-be sketchers & artists, then look closer and wonder what that strange shape is.
        Just one of them says, hey Shari, what is that strange shape? And, that would be me. : )

• Ross C says:

And, by the way, I don’t “manage to pick out the one little glitch in every sketch”… I pick out just one of the little glitches in every sketch to comment on. : )

• So you are saying that there are many??

• Ross C says:

Let me look back and see what I said…
        Just as I thought… no, I didn’t say “many”. : )

6. rkb665 says:

We get rusty so fast you would think we were made of a very cheap metal!