Davis Bay

Of all the paintings I did on Lopez Island, I think this one looks the most like a Tom Hoffmann but I guess that’s what happens when you watch someone paint for several days. Your brush dips into the same colours on the palette, your hand moves the same way across the paper. Eventually you go back to your old painting patterns, good and bad, but hopefully that gets combined with all the knowledge that a great teacher has imparted.

On the airplane home from Vancouver I made some notes about what I hope to remember from this workshop. Here’s my little summary:
• Stay abstract as long as possible
• Keep those pure colours flowing
• Know when to put the brush down

I never really finished this study of the headlands in Davis Bay because I had to catch the ferry off the island. I suppose I could go back to it and add the details that I normally would — lots of little brushstrokes to define the rocks in the foreground — but I think I’ll just leave it as is and that will be the end to those four perfect days on Lopez Island.

DavisBay

30 Comments on “Davis Bay”

1. Susanne says:

Hi Shari. Thank you for sharing your experience! It has been especially fun for me to see your recent posts. I lived on the West Coast for 15 years (in Langley on Whidbey Island – a really cool little town if you are looking for more adventures out there. I can recommend the Shakespeare festival that is going on at the moment. Free (donation) and in a wonderful spot at a retreat center in the woods.) I have fond memories of all the places you are depicting. It is also so fun to see how your painting is developing in the class you are taking, with more contrasts and a changing color scheme. Makes me want to take another class soon. Let me know if you will be teaching one in Beaconsfield area this fall.

• Thanks Susanne. I loved the West Coast. We did travel through Whidbey Island on the way from Port Townsend to Anacorted but sadly, had no time to visit properly. I would have loved to tour around Coupeville, see Deception Pass, etc but I guess that will have to be for next time. It’s a good thing we didn’t stop to sightsee because we made it directly onto the ferry for Lopez with no wait which is, from what people have told me, extremely rare.
      As for fall courses, I am not offering anything in Beaconsfield in the fall. I teach at a CEGEP during the school year and that leaves no time for other teaching.

2. I love the deep colors. Beautiful!

3. Tony Mazzola says:

Loved following your journey. I’m so inspired by your clean colors. It seems as if you lay your colors once and let it go. Just beautiful.

4. Chris Rusk says:

Hi Shari
    Have a safe trip back. Thanks for the summary and for sharing all that you gleaned (and painted). Chris

5. Genine says:

beautiful and simple, love it.

6. Shari, I would not worry about including all the detail. That sketch captures the essence of this coast without any of the detail. Thanks for sharing it. Now I need to re-think what details might be needed and what can be left out.

7. Beverley Rankin says:

I think that is just spectacular! I really get a feel for the place.

8. Miz Dee says:

Thanks for allowing us a spectacular journey with you…I love this last one…and yes, to commemorate what you learned you should not touch it. But do go back to being yourself eventually cause I love what you do….

9. tmikeporter says:

Very nice!

10. george smith says:

Oh, Shareeeee. Really fine work.

11. Don says:

Fresh, crisp, pure. Beautiful.

12. Linda says:

I love this painting. Less IS more!

13. artheart71 says:

This is superb. Vibrant, simple, strong and graphic. Stunning, I love it!

14. Is that a waterfall? Please tell me that’s a waterfall, because it’s so perfectly done!

15. Charles says:

J’aime bcp la sobriété de ce sketch. C’est super tel quel! Tes rochers sont magnifiques.