Again and again

I don’t mind returning to Avenue Ste. Anne in Pointe Claire again and again. In fact I’ve drawn so many buildings along that street and painted in my car so often that residents must think I live in the neighbourhood. Even though I only had an hour to sketch on my way to school today, I was happy to paint that narrow view down the street. It’s the poles that make it work for me — the rhythm and the movement that they create — as well as the old houses with their unusual shapes and colours. I haven’t drawn in a few days, and that is always problematic for me. Rust sets in quickly in my drawing hand and there are usually a couple of false starts before the pencil marks are loose enough to satisfy me. I used a limited palette for this one (Cobalt Teal, Alizarin Crimson, Quin Gold and a few strokes of Naples Yellow) which seemed to suit the muted colours of late November in Montreal.

SteAnnePoles

13 Comments on “Again and again”

1. annerose says:

rust sets in, that the way it really is! Wonderful sketch

2. Evelyn Cunningham says:

Rust or not, the sketch is happy and full of life.

• Thanks Evelyn. I think when I feel happy sketching it must come across in the sketch. I’ve had such a busy teaching semester with less time than I want for sketching, so every time I go out I am thrilled. Glad it shows in my sketch.

3. Beverley Rankin says:

I love the colours!

4. Theresa Lee says:

I like that your less realistic with your sketching , it’s more interesting !

5. joantav says:

I can see why you return over and over. Great setting for a sketch because the street in narrow enough for a good composition on both sides of the paper. Great job on this and I love the color choices.

6. Karen Kubovchick says:

Sent from my iPad

7. zuzala says:

This is really nice. I love the fact that the sidewalk is dead center and the poles just a hair off. Then nothing in the upper left quad. Great balance and rythmn

8. Marlene Lee says:

Thank you for sharing…it’s such a beautiful sketch.

9. Norma says:

The colbat teal worked out really nice. I’ve been admiring that in your recent sketches.