Pacific Northwest blues

Next week I’ll be teaching a workshop in Anacortes, Washington. In preparation for my trip, I spent a few hours painting a scene from a reference photo I took the last time I was there. There’s something about the colours of the Pacific Northwest that speak to me. Perhaps it’s the tall backdrop of dark green mountains or the indigo of the sky and water. There’s a drama in the landscape that just takes my breath away, and I’m giddy with anticipation about painting it again. Painted wet-in-wet on Arches paper, using lots of Indigo paint.

18 Comments on “Pacific Northwest blues”

1. Bernadette says:

Oh my, this one is a treasure! You handeled the intricate lines and shapes of the ships with great precision. I love everything about this marine beauty. The blues…..magnificent! Thank you for sharing.

2. Denise says:

Your love of painting boats and water shines through in this picture! I can’t wait to see what you paint next week. Enjoy your trip.

3. joantav says:

Love the colors!! I am sure you will have a great time there.

4. Soni says:

Shari…. you’re work is always great but this one astounds me …. takes me back there … thank you so much

5. sue fenyvesi says:

Wow, you’ll be in my neck of the woods, well I’m in Vancouver. The boats wow this is amazing. Have a great time. Weather has been awesome.

6. Judy Sopher says:

Beautiful. The water is just beautiful. You have had a busy summer. Would you ever think of retiring and just doing workshops? Hope sometime you come this way-Lancaster, Pa.

7. Good evening dear friend Shari,

I consider this as the best of your works. There is looks very much realistic and natural.

Regards and blessings.
    Uma

8. Gia says:

Hi Shari, Had originally signed up for your workshop, as I did the previous years , and am so sorry I will miss it this time. We have moved to Florida and the scenery here has a different sort of beauty, and painting challenges. Have bought your book, and am rereading your blogs to inspire me on your techniques, colors. Miss you all and wish I were there. Gia

9. Chris Rusk says:

She’s a beauty. Depth of field and colour is amazing 🙂

10. Richard Lee says:

Stunning!

11. Mary Beth Person says:

I was just in Anacortes last week at the wonderful Anacortes Arts Festival. I noticed that there is a wonderful red tug in the ship yard being worked on right now. I thought about how much fun it would be to sketch it, so I hope you’ll be able to do just that while you are there!! It’s fun to know that you will be “in the neighborhood” of our PNW. Enjoy!

12. Marvellous colours, textures, shapes. Love the abstract quality.

13. Peg Conley says:

darn it….I live in Portland and would have come up had I known…I used to live in Seattle for 20 years. I agree, love the greens and blues of the PNW! Look forward to seeing the results of the workshop!

14. jcjdcl20 says:

What you can do with WC in ‘a couple hours’ is remarkable! Thanks, Shari.

Cathye Edwards, a fan

Sent from my iPad

15. Shari, thank you for sharing your inspiring water color sketches. I have been to the Seattle area a few times, and the natural beauty with the waterfront is awesome.