Two palms

It’s taken me a bit of time to come around to the idea that Buff Titanium is a useful colour. I was first introduced to it by Jane Blundell at an Urban Sketchers symposium in Singapore. I bought a tube of it sometime later and it sat in a drawer for many years. I guess I don’t have much use for it in Montreal although I can see why Jane likes it. Here’s what she says: A wonderful granulating cream pigment. Granulates in a wash. Fabulous for sandy beaches, shells and pastel florals. This is an unusual choice for watercolour, but as I paint a lot of landscapes, especially featuring Australian sandstone, this is one of my top pigments.

Here in SW Florida, the luscious pastiness of Buff Titanium has finally come in handy. I love it for painting the dead fronds on palm trees, especially the parts in sun. And it truly is the perfect colour for the sand here, which is composed mainly of quartz and broken shells. I have been trying to match that light sand colour with my usual palette of colours, with no success, but it finally felt right when I ran a wash of Buff Titanium across the page of my sketchbook.

23 Comments on “Two palms”

1. Jeff says:

Very nice painting. One of the reasons I like living in Florida is being able to see scenes like this every day. Thanks for doing the blog and have a healthy and safe new year.

• Thanks Jeff. I can see why being able to be outdoors every day is appealing to you. I don’t think I’ve painted this much in many years. I’ll be sad to get back to the cold but there are all those great snow scenes waiting to be painted! Have a safe and happy new year!

2. TonyU says:

If you’ve got Buff Titanium with you so far from home, guessing you must have packed the kitchen sink as well? Best wishes for 2022!

3. Marilyn Hansen says:

So glad you have come to like Buff Titanium Shari! I love this color since I am a big fan of granulating pigments. I find it very useful, and it does create some nice colors when mixed with other pigments. Enjoy and enjoy Florida!!

4. Pegret Harrison says:

This is a beauty. I live in Cape Coral and follow your awesome work. Happy New Year!

5. Chris Rusk says:

Greens and blues are generally, such cool and vivid colours. This painting has a really warm, gentle feeling overall. Buff Titanium looks like a very interesting and pleasing addition.

6. Margaret Horak says:

Yay! Only BT can look like sand! Only you can think of BT and your gorgeous palm fronds . 😊

7. Bernard Gabard says:

Dear Shari In my eyes one of your best watercolors, really exceptional! By the way, I wish you a great Happy New Year!

8. Northern Traveller says:

This is gorgeous Shari! xo

9. Kate says:

I use Buff Titanium on a lot of urban street scenes, both for light colored buildings and concrete sidewalks. Sometimes you need something lighter in color and I like the opacity of Buff Titanium.

10. De says:

Your painting is a beautiful, true representation of Florida! I too owned Buff Titanium for years because Jane Blundell mentions it often in her blog. You gave me another reason to use it, so thank you for that prompt, Shari. I use it most often for beach sand mixed with permanent rose or quin gold and on shells. Happy New Year!

11. msraakaMarta says:

I have enjoyed your Sanibel paintings so much. I like mixing Buff with Potter’s Pink for some fun sand and shell colors.

12. Uma Maheswar Nakka says:

Good Afternoon dear friend Shari,

Wishing you a happy prosperous new year.
    Blessings of the Lord be with you always.

I love this painting, just awesome.
    Kindly excuse me for my absence all these days, but due to obvious reasons.

Blessings
    Uma

13. lynnbowes says:

I’m glad to see Buff Titanium getting some love! I’ve kept it in my regular palette for a long time and use it for gravel roads and dried wheat and grass as well as some occasional dirty snow. It tones down too bright colors so it makes sense to use it as a wash – which I’ll try. You always are my inspiration! Best to you in 2022!

14. Michel Gagne says:

Happy new year to you and yours, and thank you for all your inspiring and instructive posts!

15. Emma C says:

I got a tube of Buff Titanium when I bought out someone’s watercolour supplies on Craigslist. I fell in love with it for Washington DC government buildings.

16. Love the palms! I also have a tube of buff titanium that a bought for a workshop in Porto. I haven’t used it since. I’ll have to remember to pull it out.

17. Interesting painting, Bluff Titanium is definately a more tropical colour. What about snow, would it work for off whites of snow perhaps? I really like how your palm trees are massive objects in the foreground of your painting. Keep it up.

18. Love all your newest posts. Beautiful.